Many people experience some level of fear and anxiety when faced with having to visit a dentist in Silverado, and some people experience fear so intense that they avoid going to the dentist altogether, something that can potentially compromise their oral health.
At Silverado Dental Wellness, we are happy to provide our patients with a relaxing, anxiety-free dental experience with the help of sedation dentistry. Read on to learn more about the benefits of sedation dentistry in Somerset.
Kinds of Sedation
There are three main types of sedation dentistry near you, depending on your specific needs and the kind of procedure being performed. These include:
1. Light sedation– this is often achieved with the use of nitrous oxide, which is administered through a small mask placed over your nose and inhaled for the duration of your appointment. This sedative works to make you feel comfortable and relaxed for your procedure, but you will still be alert enough to respond to your dentist and communicate your needs.
2. Moderate sedation– this form of sedation works to put you in a deeply relaxed state. You will be relaxed enough that you may even drift into a light sleep, but you will still be able to respond to basic commands if necessary.
3. General anesthesia– this form of sedation will render you entirely unconscious. You will require assistance with breathing, and for this reason, general anesthesia is typically only used for oral surgery.
Methods of Administering Sedatives
Just as there are different types of sedation, there are also different methods for delivering sedation, such as:
● Oral sedatives- these are pills that can be taken before a dental appointment or the night before the appointment to help you relax. These pills are only meant for relaxation and won’t provide any pain relief, so you will still need local anesthesia to numb the affected area before you begin your procedure.
● Nitrous oxide- as mentioned above, this substance also called laughing gas, is inhaled through your nose and will keep you relaxed but awake for your procedure. You may also require a local anesthetic in tandem with nitrous oxide.
● IV sedation- this involves administering sedatives intravenously but is not a very common method of sedation.
What Are the Benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
When you opt for sedation dentistry in Silverado, you can enjoy many different benefits. One of the main benefits of sedation is that most patients only feel like their dental procedure only lasts a couple of minutes, even when it has taken a couple of hours. This makes dental sedation an excellent choice for more extensive dental procedures such as dental implants or smile makeovers.
Additionally, sedation dentistry is recommended by our dentist in Somerset to help patients overcome their anxiety and remain comfortable throughout all forms of dental procedures. This makes it possible for those with severe dental phobias to get the routine care they need to maintain excellent oral health.
Interested in Sedation Dentistry?
If you would like to determine if you are a good candidate for sedation, please do not hesitate to contact our dentist near you. We are happy to discuss your options for sedation dentistry to ensure that you get the best dental care possible. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team to book your appointment today.